Faded Faire

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ahhh...The Weekend

Saturday and Sunday...these are the two days I long for M-F and they go by so quickly. I give so much in terms of time and energy at work that my evenings during the work week are pretty nonproductive. I often have phone calls I need to make to students after I get home and and these days I have papers to grade. In the "old days" I would say I have stacks and stacks but now that I grade almost everything online, I guess I would have to say I have boocoodles of bytes in the queue.

The furbabies are on twice weekly baths right now so Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon gets consumed by that activity (they both have a skin fungus--they have to share everything--so bathing also means soaking...they have to have the shampoo in contact with the skin for 10 minutes--have you ever tried to distract a wriggling 4 pound sudsy critter for 10 minutes???) From wet down to blow dry, it's about a 90 minute to two hour project. The upside is that they smell clean and look positively adorable all the time right now, as you can clearly see in this picture. Comments complimenting the furbabies are shamelessly solicited.

I typically despise shopping and avoid it at all costs but this morning I decided I wanted a new Bible. I have been reading the English Standard Version online at Bible Gateway and finally decided I wanted an actual book. Isn't it pretty? I didn't have red in mind when I went into the store and I tried to talk myself into practical brown or gray but this red one just kept begging to go home with me. The cover is so pretty I couldn't bear to mar it with my name of the front, so I had it put on the back. It's so slim yet the type is big enough for me to read without my cheaters on and right now, it's so new! I love books, especially new ones. I love to breathe in the smell of the ink but I think with this Bible what I mostly smell is new leather. The English Standard Version came out in 2001 and is a word-for-word translation. It is considered the most accurate of current translations. I want to read through the ESV because it is so highly recommended by Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church in Seattle. (Which brings me to a new paragraph.)
If you have not ever listened to Mark Driscoll preach, you are missing out! He podcasts and videocasts (although I prefer just the audio b/c I am a self-confessed iPod junkie). He says it straight up, no holds barred, no backing away from the hard questions and he does it with both humor and seriousness. I have learned so much. I started listening to him because this is the church that David and Missy attend and I wanted to be able to talk to David about what he was hearing at church. Now I listen because Mark Driscoll's preaching makes me want to seek God with all my heart. Check it out for yourself and tell me what you think. Here's the link for the audio feeds--you can subscribe through iTunes. Click on Mars Hill if you want to learn more about Mark Driscoll and the church that has grown to 3-4 campuses and over 10,000 members in 10 years. Weekends are the time when I listen to a new podcast and sometimes review an old one. I urge you to have a notebook and pen in hand because you are going to want take notes and look up references later.

I almost always put in several hours on the weekend grading papers, reading or writing for work. But, really, when I get to do that lounging on the couch or laying in the hammock, can I really act like this is a tough life?? One weekend earlier this month I had three books and eight articles to wade through so I chose the hammock for my study hall. As my neighbors strolled by, one remarked "You've got the life!" and I had to agree. This weekend has been a hot one and with the rain that keeps coming, it's also humid. The hammock experience proved to be a sweaty one and plagued by mosquitoes so I had to "suffer" through grading in the air conditioning. I always want just one more day off but...Monday is coming.

No comments: