Faded Faire

Friday, July 27, 2007

Single Sock Syndrome


My office building is akin to a freezer in the summer. Once the university turns on the "chillers" it is time to pull out the winter clothes again. I know this and yet in the mornings when I am getting dressed, I put on capris and shoes with no socks. As the arctic blast hits me coming into the building, I start digging in bags and looking behind my office door for socks and a sweater. Last week, all I had available in the way of socks were those single socks whose mate is still on the needles. Thus the emergence of an ensemble worthy of an "Absent Minded Professor." My top was a faux silk red w/oriental pattern, black pants, and the pictured socks...one of each.
The incident made me realize I am infected with Single Sock Syndrome...the enthusiastic knitting of the first sock in a new pattern/colorway and neglect of the second sock to the pair. I have counted my single socks...there are three now, down from five. I am resolved to buy no more sock yarn until I have no more single socks (yeah, right...I have etsy.com open as I write :-))

Knitting Notes: The black/taupe/white sock is Tofutsie yarn, knit top down with a 1x1 ribbing for 3", then the leg as K3P3 for one row, K1P1 the next row. This pattern kept the colorway from pooling unattractively and makes a great fitting, stretchy sock that fits most leg sizes. The yarn is lovely to knit with for the most part, just a bit splitty. The tangerine/khaki sock is Paton's Grace knit in a Curvy/Lacy pattern found in Creative Knitting about 18 months ago. The yarn is 100% cotton and has a beautiful cotton sheen when knit up...although as is the case with 100% cotton, is a bit tiring for the hands because it has no elasticity to it. I used to have a subscription to Creative Knitting magazine but found that over a year's time, I only knitted two patterns in it, so I let it expire. My all-time, forever favorite knitting magazine is Interweave Knits.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.